Can cannabidiol (CBD) help people suffering from either depression or anxiety? The answer is yes!
Stress is one of the reasons why people become anxious or depressed. It can break a person into many pieces, figuratively. Family members, friends, and other close acquaintances are affected if someone has depression/anxiety.
CBD is increasingly being used to treat stress. CBD is a phytocannabinoid which was discovered in 1940. It is derived from the hemp plant. Hemp belongs to the Cannabis Sativa family and it is sometimes confused with marijuana. Both of these substances came from the same plant family but they are very distinct from each other. While marijuana has a psychoactive effect, hemp is non-psychoactive because it has a very low level of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Apart from musing CBD, some other ways to deal with stress include
- Eating healthy foods like fish, avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Engaging in regular exercise
- Avoiding overeating and even undereating
- Drinking healthy beverages like green tea
- Being sociable, going out and meeting other people
Unfortunately, some, if not all, of these things can’t be done religiously by most people. CBD is able to fight stress and depression by stimulating the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Technically, hormonal imbalance occurs when the endocannabinoids, the neurotransmitters within the endocannabinoid system are compromised. The ECS is responsible for regulating many physiological and cognitive processes.
CBD helps to restore the endocannabinoid system to its natural state.
Aside from depression and anxiety, here are some of the health conditions that CBD may help deal with:
- Diabetes (Type 1 & Type 2)
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Weight gain and weight loss
- Hair loss including alopecia areata and alopecia universalis
- Low libido
- Muscle pains
- Acne and other skin problems (topical)
If you’re thinking of using CBD products to help you with your specific health problems, be sure to check with your doctor.